Saturday, September 02, 2006

Missing home..

I never thought this would happen, but yup, I'm missing home..home meaning family, friends, and basically just singapore! now, before anyone starts worrying that im suffering from an emotional trauma, i'll assure you, I'm NOT. it's just that i get stupid sometimes and feel like crying when I see things that remind me of home, or I just start thinking how it'd be nice if im back in Sg alr..well, not that i don't like it here or anything; i've made friends (interesting people they are), classes are fine (and sometimes fun), and it's nice to have the whole experience of doing everything by myself, doing new things etc..so, i'm not going to say that i regret coming here, and if given the choice again, this is still what I would do..

Ok, but there has to be an explanation for this feeling of nostalgia, so I'll try to do a lil analysis here..for one, i think the main "problem" is the difference in culture (though i wouldnt really say it's a culture shock coz i live in substance-free which means i miss all the late night partying and pple coming back drunk and having to be sent to the ER). The things they talk about are different here, eg: their high school, the states they come from, their TV etc, and usually when the conversation drifts towards these topics i'd shut up coz i have nothing to say.. i mean, i don't think pple will understand if i say oh, i was from hwa chong (what on earth is that?!) and I had a wonderful class (which means the entire cohort in the sch in US)..yup..and sometimes it's hard to think of common topics to talk about, unless you want to go into intellectual discussions, which is not an appealing thing over a meal.

And I guess there's this entirely different mindset as well. Some of the people here are not really decided on a particular major, and even for those who have, they still hold the idea of playing around with their options/ trying out courses, blah blah blah..i think it's good that they have a chance to find out what they really like, but for me ( and almost all singaporeans), we're thinkg of how to get a good GPA (3.8 for many..) and maybe see if we can graduate in 3 years, or do a minor etc..there really isnt much choice if you are on a scholarship..and we try to get credits for the work we have done for A levels so we can go on to the next, more advanced course, and I have friends who are like looking for the easiest course to take so it'll be more mangeable..so there's this constant effort to try maintain a balance between studying hard enough and studying too hard..

Ok, enough of the negative stuff..I'll share some interesting things.. :) First of all, the guys here are definitely much better looking!! (sorry guys) and they (both guys and girls) bring with them interesting experiences which have really erm..i shan't say broaden my horizons, but ehh..have made me more aware of how much more there is in this world! I've also been to several student
performances, one by acapella groups in duke, and another by this impromptu group which is really hilarious and entertaining! I think they are born with a funny gene..and i've gotten lots of free stuff/ duke apparel (im starting a little collection in my closet)- oh have i mentioned this? i have a walk-in closet in my room!-and basically anything with duke/class of 2010 printed on them. My favourite class for the moment is yoga, coz it's really relaxing (how many classes actually allow you to lie on the floor and just breathe and relax?) and interesting!

Ok, got to go for classes now, more next time!

by the way, for those who are interested, i managed to do my laundary without 1. shrinking my clothes, and 2. discoulouring them!

boonshan at 2:04 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment